God says in His Word for us to “be still and know that He is God” (Psalms 46:10). This is a favorite verse for so many, but do we really know how to do this? The other morning as I led intercessory prayer I had a woman to ask for prayer for guidance…she cried out that she did not understand how she could pray so hard but with “closed ears”. Wow! I lost it, This broke my heart. I could not contain myself and tears began to fall from my eyes right there! We prayed for her and gave some encouraging words but I could not help but feel that somewhere and somehow, this woman has been let down by those in ministry. We must mentor and train people how to hear the voice of God.
I have always been fascinated by the voice of God. Each and every time I hear from heaven I weep as if it is my first experience. One thing I want to encourage us with in this short article is that we’ve got to learn the art of stillness. Its not that God is NOT speaking. He speaks all the time in various ways. Sometimes the noise of life is just too loud. Life is literally drowning out the voice of God. We are His sheep, we know Him, He knows us, and we are not supposed to be following after strange voices.
Here are just a few disciplines that I believe we need to be reminded of in order to progress in hearing from God. By no means am I saying these are the only disciplines, but these are the ones that come to mind and that is working in my life and others have also testified that these work in their lives as well. (See Exodus 33:14, Psalms 16:11, Psalms 27:8 for starters…so many others)
- Be relationship conscience. Know that you must prioritize your life where you are spending quality quiet time in the presence of God. Practice the presence of God as A LIFESTYLE and not a tradition. Where there is no presence of the Lord…there will be no voice of God.
- Devour the Word of God…You absolutely have to be a student of the word. Study and meditate on the Word of God because your life depends on it. The word of God is not just ink on paper. The Word of God is Spirit and life. The Word is active, living, sharper than a two-edged sword. The Word will commune with you upon awakening, during the day, and in the night seasons.
- Be sure you are meditating on the word that seems to jump out at you during your times of study. Pray before, during, and after you read and study the Word of God. There are times when God will allow what is written (logos) to become rhema (alive) and when this happens, God is speaking something specific to you.
- Pay close attention to stray thoughts that appear to come out of nowhere. Pay close attention to circumstances, dreams, visions, prophetic words and teachings, etc. Familiarize with the ways that God speaks.
- Be sure that you have a spiritual covering…don’t walk around bald and naked. Don’t hold on to the lone ranger mentality. Remember, the one sheep that is out on its own is more susceptible to be devoured by the wolf. Your spiritual leaders should also be able to teach you disciplines concerning hearing the voice of God and at times, they will become the voice of God for you! This is important and should not be taken lightly.
- Finally, take care of your mind…fill your mind with God’s Word on a daily basis by rejecting thoughts of fear, worry, anxiety, etc. Certain patterns of thinking will block the voice of God.
There is so much more to be said; however, I will stop here. Remember, I am praying for you. Please stay encouraged in the Lord. We are going to make it to our next dimension together!
By the way, I hope that you enjoy the ministry clip below. I plan to share more ministry clips in the future.